Othering is used in this picture because it is implying that knitting/crocheting is only for women. This is shown by:
- The fact that it is two men in the photo and the title of this picture album is "We are the Other"-which implies that men are not knitters.crocheters. As an avid knitter myself, this is totally wrong as some of my favorite knitter friends are guys.
- Othering is implied in this picture through the quote listed above. It implies that only people "soft inside" can knit/crochet. (Again, so totally wrong: anybody can express themselves through the medium of soft, fuzzy yarn Thank. You. Very. Much.)
Margaret Atwood in The Handmaid's Tale uses othering multiples times throughout the book. For example:
- Her formatting of Day and Night can be viewed as different because her writing styles/content change. During the day sections Offred is more reserved in her actions and thoughts. However, at night (when Offred is usually by herself in her room) Offred is more liberal with her opinions and she includes flashbacks of the past.
- Atwood also uses othering in because of her use of Handmaids. The handmaids are basically only useful if they are pregnant and after they give birth, the baby goes to the Commander and his Wife. It essentially takes surrogate mothers to the extreme.
I think that the photo you chose portrays othering very well. At first, I did not understand the significance of it, but by reading your response I got clarification. I agree that stereotypical gender roles often are results of othering and vice versa. It is interesting that Huie chooses to represent knitting in the photograph, as this is a skill that has been associated with women throughout history. I think that this makes the message more powerful; he is trying to tell us that people are continuously being judged and othered by the stereotypes set in place in society. As for your comments on Atwood's novel, I agree that the handmaids are othered. This can be seen through their red clothing, limited communication, and role as the bearer of children.
ReplyDeleteHey Allie-
ReplyDeleteI love that you picked something you could speak about- how it is or is not othering. However, I do wish you had provided more as far as analysis- what do we see in the picture besides the people? What decisions did the artist make? With what effect? I also wish all parts of your response included textual evidence.