I think that the advertisement that depicts some of the deadly sins the best is the Carl's Jr. All-Natural Burger commercial. I believe that this advertisement depicts greed, lust, as well as gluttony VERY well (almost too well). This advertisement was made by Carl's Jr. fr the 2015 Superbowl.
On a small scale, this advertisement include gluttony and lust. Gluttony is shown because the actress is shown trying to shove a huge burger in her mouth and it is obviously bigger than she can eat. Lust is shown because the actress is overly sexualized because of her lack of clothes, comparison of her body to fruit, and many other sexual innuendos made throughout the 52 second clip.
On a larger scale, the idea of over sexualizing advertisements is an example of greed because in this business, the more sexy the advertisement, the more powerful the advertisement is because it draws more attention to it. The big companies are greedy and want to have all of the power so continually make the advertisements more sexy.
This advertisement was made for middle class men watching the superbowl. This is shown because Carl's Jr. is a fast food place which means that the advertisement is for the middle class. Also, it is mainly men that watch the Superbowl. Also, culturally, this advertisement is impactful to men because the stereotype is that men like women with huge boobs (check) and they like very large burgers (check), especially when women with huge boobs are eating the very large burgers (double check).
Carl's Jr. had to be very creative when laying put this commercial because the actress IS NAKED. They had to do some very creative prop usage and set usage to hide her body (even though at the end she is shown wearing a skimpy bathing sit which she did NOT have on before...). Also, the actress is shown with almost an angelic halo and in a white bathing suit at the end which adds to the sexualization that she is what every man wants.
Mass media uses language through the connection between all natural burgers and naked women and image to persuade men to buy the all natural burger by using stereotypes and popular culture of the sexualization of women along with sexual innuendos in order to deliberately manipulate the audience. (Run on sentence?? Probabily)
Well this was a very happy and uplifting blog, wasn't it??
Wow that commercial is totally representing lust and gluttony. The addition that you made of greed and connecting it to the company is awesome and something I wouldn't have thought of. I think lust and gluttony are extremely prevalent in ads as a whole and ads like this only prove it. Loved the post, Allie!
ReplyDeleteHey, nice post! I'm happy that you pointed out that she was naked, because, yeah, they pulled that swimsuit out of her, well. And with the fruit, it's always odd to see objectification with, like, actual objects. I do wonder, do men like when women with huge boobs are eating the very large burgers. I get women cleaning cars; I feel like they don't go together, but they don't detract from themselves. I think that women and food just doesn't work as well. I mean, no one looks sexy eating food, not even a prioress. (Though, if you want to do your best, I watched this video, which is halarious while in an analytical mindset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ApJ2KJUTM). Seriously, look at that freeze frame at the end of the commercial; look at her mouth. You can't do it. So why have that mix of lust and gluttony. I wonder if the woman isn't supposed to just be an object of affection but redefine the fastfood audience. Like "you too can be attractive (semi-attractive) when eating this massive burger." Or a message that those hot healthy women who like kale will still find a real 'merican male who loves burgers attractive. I don't know. See ya'
ReplyDeleteAwesome job Allie! You did an excellent job tying in not just the advertisement itself but also the context of the advertisement in your analysis which I think worked extremely in your favor! Loved how you described the cultural stereotyping in the advertisement and I think you did a great job establishing what deadly sins were present. One suggestion I would make is to spend more time looking within the advertisement (as awkward as that maybe) to pull out specific instances of each deadly sin in order to have much stronger evidence. Overall I really enjoyed what you did with this post and look forward to reading more!
ReplyDelete